Super Lawyers - Badge
NITA - Badge
American Inns of Court - Badge
International Society of Barristers - Badge
Bar Register Preeminent Lawyers - Badge
American Association for Justice - Badge
American Board of Trial Advocates - Badge
Million Dollar Advocates Forum - Badge
Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum - Badge

What To Do If You Are in an Accident

What to Do After an Accident

The law firm of Gregg, Hunt, Ahern & Embry provides the information below for those involved in a car or other motor vehicle accident.

  • Call law enforcement.
  • Get information from the other driver, pedestrians and witnesses. Record their names, addresses, license and license plate numbers, phone numbers and anything else you think relevant.
  • Even if you are not obviously injured, seek medical help as soon as possible. Some injuries may seem minor or be invisible until days or weeks after an accident.
  • If you can, take pictures immediately. Use your Blackberry, cell phone or camera. It is important to obtain a picture of the scene as soon as possible so that fragile evidence can be preserved. The more pictures the better.
  • Keep a written record of your symptoms and pains after the accident. Also record whether and when you went to the doctor, when you were able to work and whether the accident affected your ability to handle the chores of daily living.
  • Talk with an attorney as soon as possible following your accident.

What Not to Do After an Accident

  • Do not speak to the other party’s insurance company.
  • If possible, try to defer speaking to a police officer until after speaking with a lawyer.
  • Do not accept a settlement offer from the other party’s insurance company before speaking with an attorney.

Why You Should Contact an Attorney

If you follow the advice above after an accident, you are putting yourself in a strong position to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries, lost wages and property damage. An experienced motor vehicle accident lawyer can tell you how to proceed after an accident and help you seek compensation for your losses such as wages, medical expenses and damage to your vehicle. A personal injury lawyer can also help you adhere to deadlines and time limits for state and federal accident claims.

Remember, in most instances, you have three years in which to file a lawsuit for damages.

If you have questions about what to do if you are in an accident, contact the Cambridge law firm of Gregg, Hunt, Ahern & Embry. Call 617-494-1920. We undertake injury cases on a contingency basis, charging no fee until we recover damages on your behalf.

Contact Us

Fill out the contact form or call us at (617) 494-1920 to schedule your free consultation.

Free Consultation